Safeguarding in Sports
If you run an organisation which provides sports activities for Children and Young People, it is essential that you have the correct safeguarding policies and procedures in place. It is also important that your staff, whether they are paid or voluntary, know what their responsibilities are with regards to the safety and welfare of Children and what to do should they be concerned about a child within their care.
By having the correct policies and procedures in place to safeguard children and young people shows that your organisation/group takes safeguarding seriously.
Why do you have to have safeguarding procedures in place?
In England, Working Together 2018 states that people who work with children and young people have a duty to keep them safe.
There are lots of organisations who can provide further information and links to some of these are detailed below. However, below is a checklist of what your organisation should have in place:-
- A safeguarding policy, with a clear procedure for dealing with concerns or risks of abuse. All parents should be aware of how they can access this policy.
- A named and contactable welfare officer who is responsible for the implementation of your safeguarding policy and issues regarding the protection of Children and Young People.
- Procedures for dealing with complaints or concerns regarding poor practice, abuse or neglect.
- Written standards of good practice, such as a code of conduct or behavior.
- A parental consent and emergency details form that should be completed by all parents/carers and returned to yourselves.
- Safer recruitment procedures for those working with children and young people, which includes:-
- a clear job description
- appropriate references
- criminal records check (e.g. DBS) for all relevant posts
- technical qualifications
Further information can be obtained by clicking on the links below:-
As part of this, Thurrock LSCP would like to offer you the opportunity to undertake a FREE e-learning course in relation to Child Exploitation in Sport. If would be interested in undertaking this course, then please click here and complete the online booking form. Registration details will then be sent through to you.
We will continue to update this page with more information however, in the meantime, if there is more information that you would like, then please do not hesitate to contact the Business Team at firstname.lastname@example.org